Monday, July 2, 2012

What's on the hi fi?

The Everly Brothers - Songs Our Daddy Taught Us (1957)

Actually, I think this album would be more aptly named, "Depressing Songs Our Daddy Taught Us." I love the Everly Brothers and this album of appalachian folk songs must have been pretty risky to release when they were at their peak as rock and rollers. Their harmonies are pure and beautiful, the arrangements sparse. It's beautiful, but dang if the songs aren't sad - Barbara Allen, I'm Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail, Rocking Alone (In An Old Rocking Chair). I just can't picture teeny bopper girls from the late-50s getting into it. My favorite songs are Kentucky and That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine (which Simon and Garfunkel often covered in concert).

Here's a version of Silver Haired Daddy from 1970 on the Johnny Cash Show:


I highly recommend the album, just make sure you're in a good state of mind first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment